Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Teenage Epidemic


Bristol Palin. Jamie-Lynn Spears. Solange Knowles. Brandy. All were teenage mothers. They are the young celebrities that have brought more attention to an already growing epidemic; teenage pregnancy.

Statistics show that the United States has the highest rate of teen pregnancies. While the issue itself is an international concern, the US has yet to tackle this growing problem. Between conservatives strongly promoting abstinence and the longstanding debate of allowing sex education to be a topic in schools, teen pregnancy gets pushed to the back burner.

*Jannie Sweeney remembered when, at age 15, she decided to have unprotected sex; her son, *Jake Morris, was born nine months later.

"I wouldn't want anyone to go through that. I didn't talk to my parents about sex. I went around relying on my friends for information about sex. For them, it was the cool thing to do."

Despite her parents disappointment, Sweeney was able to complete high school.

" I could not have finished school with the help of my family," Sweeney admitted.

The family supported her vigorously, taking turns babysitting Jake and making sure that he was well cared and provided for. Sweeney also credits her parents for using her pregnancy as a learning tool and instilling in her siblings that choosing to have sex meant risking the chance of getting pregnant or contracting an STD. More importantly, Sweeney says her parents also gave her and her siblings information about sex. The topic became normal conversation around the house.

Sweeney, now 35, is proud of Jake Morris, 20, who is attending college. With her families help, Sweeney was able to be a better parent.

"I am proud of my son. But if I could, I would have waited until I was old enough to deal with motherhood."

I Stay Strong asked Sweeney for insight. Her advice to today's teens, "ask questions, but don't ask your friends, connect with your parents, doctors or clergymen. All I can say is you have to get information; have protected sex or abstain."

In a world of celebrity and an "anything goes" attitude, today's youth has to battle with moral judgment more so now than ever. The media glorifies unwed mothers and the traditional route of marriage, making the responsibilities of parenthood less apparent.

Teenage parents don't always have success stories. The life of a teenage parent is a struggle, but with the right information, family support and good judgment, teens can make better decisions about sex and together communities around the country can witness a decline in a scary statistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment